ENG 24 / L 5 “THE BIG DOOR” HOUSE TEEJanuary 23, 2020
JUST BUNNY AND THE GREAT FIRE RESCUEJanuary 31, 2020
LADDER 5 PATCH
L 5 Patch
Introducing February’s “FDNY FIREHOUSE OF THE MONTH”
FDNY ENGINE 24 LADDER 5 BATTALION 2 – Greenwich Village, Manhattan, NY
“THE BIG DOOR”
Join us we celebrate each month, one of FDNY’s many firehouses/stations that house NYC’s Bravest.
Firehouse: Engine 24 (Red Rover) /Ladder 5 (Phoenix) /Battalion 2
Nickname: The Big Door
Location: 227 6th Ave (Avenue of America’s)
- Respond time to Greenwich Village, Soho, Meatpacking district
- A poem was written about Ladder 5 called the great figure by William Carlos Williams.
- Later a painting inspired by that poem was made by Charles Demuth called I saw the figure 5 in gold.
- Bill the Butcher (gangs of New York) was the captain of Red Rovers which later became Engine 24.
- Engine 24 Ladder 5 and Battalion 2 suffered three tragedies since the early 1990s:
—- Watts street fire
—- Dueschbank Fire
Represent in the matching house tee: